Sunday, June 22, 2008

"insert title here"

After months of searching we finally found our cheap slide! We decided to try yard-saling again on Saturday morning, even though we've found nothing but junk on our last few attempts. When we pulled up to the house and saw a slide for sale we all began cheering. Mackayla was clapping and saying, "HOORAY! WE FINALLY FOUND MY SLIDE! I'M SHOUTING FOR JOY!"
In addition to the slide we also got a little tikes basketball hoop and three FULL bags of nice clothes for the kids all for a grand total of $20. It was a great day!
We didn't have the kiddie pool set up yet to slide into, but we put the slide under a sprinkler and had a glorious time.
Bradley and Mackayla enjoying a beautiful summer day.
This last week Mackayla was learning about wild animals. On the day we were going to learn about tigers I came out from putting Bradley down and told her to get ready because it was time for school. I went into my room and quickly put on my tiger costume. I'm sure many of you are familiar with this costume (I think I recall Amy wearing it while dancing on a dumpster in the middle of the night.) Anyway I wish I could have gotten a picture of her face when I came out. Her jaw dropped, she got the biggest smile on her face, and proclaimed, "IT'S MOMMY TIGER!" She of course had to try the outfit on herself later. Isn't she a cute little tiger?!

Mackayla is working on her baseball skills. She's almost ready to join the little league.
Bradley was perfectly content just trying to get the ball out of the net sock it came in.


Mackayla and I made a strawberry rhubarb pie together using the rhubarb from our yard. It was delicious.


Mackayla is still amazing us every day with the things she learns and says. She's really into making up her own words now, adding a "y" to the end of every word (kitcheny, backyardy, down stairsy etc...), and giving Bradley new nicknames. Some of the recent things she's said that made us laugh are:
Jared was outside and I told Mackayla to look out the window because Daddy was waving to her. She looked out and said, as if she were so grown up looking at a little kid, "He's just waving away out there. Look at the big ole dad, just waving away."
Jared was getting Mackayla dressed for bed and told her to put her arms up. She did that and then said, "I situated my arms." We were pretty impressed she has picked up that word and knew how to use it.
Lately when she's been waking up bright and early, she sits up in bed and yells "It's good morning time! It's time to get up everyone! It's good morning time!" We have our own little rooster.
She uses the phrase "at one point" from time to time. I'll ask her if she's hungry or something and she'll say, "well, at one point I was, but now I'm ok."
Bradley is starting to talk like crazy, too. He loves to babble and say "mama" and "dada" and throw in an occasional screech also. He's not crawling yet but manages to get around by rolling and turning. He's starting to be able to pull himself up to a standing position. This means we'll have to lower his crib mattress. That will make it a lot harder to put him in his bed when he's already asleep without waking him up. :(
He smiles ALL the time and everywhere we go he gets compliments on his adorable smile and big curls. He's got quite a head of hair for an eight month old. It's going to be so sad when we have to give him a haircut. We're holding out until his one year birthday.
He loves watching and playing with Mackayla. She calls him her best friend and loves to smother him with hugs and kisses. She can be a little overbearing at times. Mommy is always trying to protect him from her affection. We figure he'll have to get use to swarming girls due to his dashing good looks!

7 comments:

ronandlindahatfield said...

Congratulations on the slide!!
What cute kids you have! Mackayla is a darling tiger. At one point I thought it was you Melissa but then I knew it wasn't!
Bradley is quite a charmer! I vote for no hair cut. Love those curls!

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

Those are some smarty pants kids and so cute. I'm so glad you found your slide. It's way fancier than ours! That tiger costume looks like it's Mackayla's size...how did I ever fit in it? Glad you guys are doing well! Love you all.

Heather said...

"I'll Make You A Deal" is my favorite of Mackayla's sayings. She is so darn cute! And so is that Bradley boy! I agree with Mom, no hairtcut for that boy!I like boys hair a little longer, especailly if it is curly. Now, why can't I have a vocabulary like Mackayla?

April said...

I'm glad to see that you're still putting that tiger costume to good use and for educational purposes even.
Jaden went through a stage where he added a Y to everything too. It was really cute and I was sad when he stopped.

ashley said...

where to begin... there are so many things i love about this post... first, i am voting for growing the hair out (something like Jesse's on the Bachelorette!?) and hooray for all the smiles! second, the slide looks like a blast - Sophie is on her way for a play date! third, the phrases she uses CRACK ME UP. love them- love them. :)

Danielle and Derek said...

What a precocious little girl Mackayla is! You are such a fun mom, Melissa - I'm so impressed that you teach themed lessons, and even dress up! We love strawberry-rhubarb pie, too; maybe we should try growing rhubarb.

Jared and Melissa said...

you should grow rhubarb. You just plant it once and it keeps coming back every year. No maintenance at all.