Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sleep

Since becoming parents, I'm sure sleep is something we'll never take for granted again. The nights were actually going great for awhile and then for the last few weeks both kids have quit sleeping. They have also moved their wake up time to 5:30-6:00am. I really wanted to get pictures of the kids sleeping. Not just because children look like peaceful little angles when they are asleep, but because their sleeping represents something wonderful to me...a time when I can sleep!

Ever since Mackayla was a baby, we've had to stick to the most exact routine to get her to actually sleep. Now that she's a little older she doesn't need the routine so much, but her bed has to be set up EXACTLY right. Hoppy, her bunny, needs to be right beside her. Then she first needs her Cinderella blanket on. Next, the big pink blanket, and finally the sheet and comforter casually flopped on top of her. If everything is not just right she will not settle down.

This picture is a rare treasure to me. I didn't think I'd ever get a good picture of Mackayla sleeping in her bed since she never takes naps and she gets up long before the sun rises so it's always dark when she's sleeping. However, on friday, after throwing a LONG screaming fit in her bed (because I tried to make her get dressed, I know I'm a horrible mother) she actually fell asleep. I put Bradley down at the same time and had both kids asleep for almost two hours! I got so much done in that time. I can't even imagine how different my life would be and how much I would accomplish if I had an hour or two to myslef every afternoon. Although, I do enjoy having some Mommy & Mackayla time every day while Bradley is sleeping.
I've been getting up MANY times each night between getting the kids back to sleep and needing to go to the bathroom (pregnancy). Last night the kids both slept all night and I was so out of it I didn't wake up at all! I slept for six straight hours!! Then I woke up with a rare migraine that I think was triggered because my body wasn't use to so much sleep. Isn't that a funny thing?!

Our Little School Boy
Bradley is 16 months already so Mackayla and I decided it was time for him to start going to school. :) Mackayla wanted to help be a teacher for Bradley's school. She rings the school bell (it's imaginary), and they both get so excited. This week we have been teaching him his colors. He loves pointing to all of them and saying their names. With Mackayla helping, the first color we worked on was, of course, pink.


Each day we do a march to practice the color. Bradley LOVES it.
This is a picture of him doing the march that went...
Marching! Marching! Marching!
Touch your head!
Marching! Marching! Marching!
Can you find something red?

This is Bradley's favorite place to watch TV. We keep having to move him back.

Bradley asking his Dad for some tips on using the potty.

Our little snowman

I gave Mackayla a couple of old tank tops I used to exercise in and told her they could be her dancing shirts. She loves to put them on and dance. Last week while her Grandpa and Grandma were in Hawaii she wanted to do the hula dance.




6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Bless your heart for the whole sleeping thing. Those pictures are just precious, they will definitely be treasures :)

I hope you're feeling well!

Danielle and Derek said...

You are such a good mom, Melissa - I'm always so impressed with how well you teach your kids. I need to do better. I'm so sorry about the sleep issues and hope it gets better as you get more pregnant. I can relate to the nighttime bathroom trips though - it seems like every time I roll over I have to get up. Good luck!

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

I would absolutely go crazy without sleep. Anything less than 7 and I'm momzilla! Unfortunately Jackson has boycotted naps for the past couple months, but I still make him have quiet time by himself in his room so I have an hour to catch up on schoolwork, etc. You do such a great job being patient...you need to pass some of that my way! And I can't imagine why you've stopped wearing that lovely tye-died tank top. That is hot!

Julie said...

I don't know how funny a migraine ever is, but I'm glad you got some sleep. What a cute little snowman!!! That's the smallest one i've ever seen! :)

Heather said...

Your kids are so cute and smart. I wish I was as smart as your kids! I had a dream last night that I was late for work and couldn't sleep the rest of the night. I would hate not being able to sleep the whole night through.

ronandlindahatfield said...

What a cute background and ultra cute kids! Can't wait to see you this weekend.