Friday, February 1, 2008

...and now we know!

There were a couple of nights last week when Mackayla woke up in the middle of the night crying, and was not able to go back to sleep for many hours. This is not, and has never been unusual for her, but I thought maybe now that she's talking so well she would be able to tell us what the problem was. We had a few conversations about it and this is how they went:

Me: Did you have some trouble sleeping last night?
Her: Yeah Mom, I did.
Me: How come?
Her: I don't know.
Me: Did your tummy hurt?
Her: No, it was good.
Me: Did your ears hurt?
Her: No, they were pretty good.
Mommy, my hair was hurting.
Me: You're hair was hurting?
Her: Yeah, it was.
Me: Are you sure?
Her: Yes Mommy, it was AMAZING!

Then later that evening she brought the subject back up at the dinner table.

Her: I had some trouble sleeping last night.
Me: I know, how come?
Her: My nightlight was hurting me.
Me: Oh yeah, why is that?
Her: Because I had to sleep on my ribs.
Me: It was because you had to sleep on your ribs?
Her: Yeah, and because of the letter A.

So anyway, we're glad to finally have this mystery all cleared up.

9 comments:

Heather said...

That is SO FUNNY! Where in the world does she get that stuff from? Mackayla must of gotten her funny bone from Aunt Heather! HA HA Just kindding.

Heather said...

I ment to say that Mackayla must of gotten her funny rib from me.

ronandlindahatfield said...

That is very insightful! The letter A often keeps me awake too!!!

April said...

It makes you wonder what they are thinking about when they are laying in their beds awake. Maybe the letter of the day was A and it scared her that cookie monster ate it up (or does he only eat the letter c?) That's a pretty cute story, you'll have to make sure to write it down in her book.

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

Melissa, I hate to say this, but I don't think she's telling the truth. You need to keep pursuing this until she tells you the whole story.

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

PS--Maybe you could hold one of her dolls over the bathtub to get her to fess up.

ashley said...

love it. love it. love it. she cracks me up. atleast you have a clear understanding of hew vast vocabulary, even if the lack of sleeping remains a mystery! her poor hair and ribs... and that darned letter A!

K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...

Hi Melissa, it's Bryan and Katy. We just joined the blog community too. I am so excited to see pics of you guys and see what is going on. Mackayla has gotten so big!! Congrats on the potty training.